Who we are
The Phone-paid Services Authority is the UK regulator for content, goods and services charged to a phone bill.
Phone-paid services are the goods and services that you can buy by charging the cost to your phone bill or pre-pay account. They include directory enquiries, voting on TV talent shows, donating to charity by text or downloading apps on your mobile phone. They are referred to as premium rate services in law.
Our regulation is open, fair and robust, underpinned by a Code of Practice approved by
Ofcom. As the telecoms, internet and payments sectors continue to grow globally at an unprecedented rate, the Phone-paid Services Authority takes action to safeguard consumers and help cutting-edge providers of digital content and services to thrive.
Is a healthy and innovative market in which consumers can charge content, goods and services to their phone bill with confidence.
- To protect consumers from harm in the market, including where necessary through robust enforcement of our Code of Practice
- To further their interests through encouraging competition, innovation and growth in the market.
We seek to do this through:
- Providing clarity about the market for content, goods and services charged to a phone bill
- Applying an outcomes-based Code of Practice
- Delivering a balanced approach to regulation
- Working in partnership with Government and other regulators
- Delivering high standards of organisational support.
Our core values
We continue to adhere to the principles of good regulatory practice. In addition, we have these core internal values and behaviours for carrying out our work:
Right touch: Fair and proportionate. Aware of the bigger picture.
Collaborative: Open. Decisive.
Value for money: Effective and productive. Professional
Memorandum of understanding with Ofcom
Phone-paid Services Authority is a non-profit making company limited by guarantee.
Registered office: 25th Floor, 40 Bank Street, E14 5NR. Registration No. 2398515 England