Contact us

We are still available for contact during this COVID-19 pandemic. Our Service Information team are on hand to offer information and advice to consumers both online and by phone.

Before contacting us, please see I've been charged, what next? which tells you what to do if you have an unexpected phone charge.

If you still need to contact us, you can either:

  • report an issue online 

  • report an issue by phone on 0300 30 300 20 (calls to 03 numbers should cost no more than geographic 01 or 02 calls and may be part of inclusive minutes subject to your provider and your call package). Our call centre is open Monday to Friday between 09:30 and 12:30. Outside of these hours, should you wish to report an issue online, please use the link above.

Before you contact us please make sure you have the following information to hand:

  1. the name of the service provider or the phone-paid service number involved

  2. a copy of the text message itself confirming the subscription or the payment

  3. any other information on your telephone bill that might help identify the service.

Please note that we are a regulator, not an ombudsman and therefore we don’t mediate between individual consumers and service providers. However, your reported issue is important to us. We have the power to investigate potential breaches of our Code of Practice and to take action. Your reported issue provides valuable evidence to us. If the service provider you report an issue about is subject to an adjudication, the independent Code Adjudication Panel may order refunds.

So if the PSA can’t help me, then who can?
We sometimes hear from consumers about things that are out of our remit, such as phone billing queries (home broadband, connection issues etc.), scam calls or other non-geographic numbers that don’t fall within our remit.

The PSA can only help with the following:

  • service charges listed on your phone bill as ‘Payforit’, ‘Charge-to-mobile’, ‘Operator Billing’ or ‘Direct Carrier Billing’ 
  • five- and six-digit numbers (also known as shortcodes) which you can use to enter text competitions, give to charity or download content through your mobile phone. These shortcodes generally begin with a 5, 6, 7 or 8. 
  • numbers beginning 118, these are directory enquiry services 
  • numbers beginning 090, 091 and 087 (for 087 only where the service charge is 7pence per minute or more, inclusive of VAT) 
  • call connection services on any number range, these are most commonly on 09, 087 and 084 numbers.

For more information on telephone numbers and the cost of calling them, see Ofcom’s Call costs guide.

If we can’t help you, then depending on what your query is about you can ask for help:

  • your mobile network provider, especially if you contacted the phone-paid service provider and you’re still not satisfied with the outcome
  • Citizens Advice if you need advice with nuisance calls and texts 
  • Ofcom if you want to query about call costs of various numbers, have an issue with a number the PSA doesn't regulate or an issue with other telecoms issues
  • Financial ombudsman can help settle disputes related to financial services
  • Action Fraud if you want to report fraud.