Does my service benefit from an exemption?
We estimate that up to a third of the phone-paid service market is eligible for an exemption from registration with us or from paying the registration fee. There are also exemptions from specific Code provisions available for certain categories of services that we believe can comply with certain outcomes of the Code through other means. It’s worth your while to check to see if your company or service is exempt.
Current registration exemptions:
1. You are exempt from registering with the PSA if you operate premium rate services on either the 087 number range or voice shortcodes costing 20p or less, unless the service category is:
- an information, connection and signposting service (ICSS), regardless of number range
- a professional advice service
- a live entertainment service.
Services falling within the above categories are required to register with the PSA.
2. You are exempt from paying the registration fee if you:
have revenue below £10,000 per year. In this case registration is free for the first year, but after the first year you need to pay the renewal fee. During the year if your gross outpayments begin to exceed £834.00 per month then you should contact us to discuss your exempt status.
are a registered charity operating a phone-paid service.
Current Code provision exemptions:
We also welcome exemption requests
We’re committed to ensuring our regulation does not get in the way of services that consumers want and enjoy. If you do have an exemption to discuss, contact our compliance department. You’ll need to identify what the barrier is and have thought about how you will meet the relevant Code Requirement by other means. We can then discuss the best way forward.