- Publication Date
- 7 May 2020
- Case Reference
- Track 2
- Adjudicated Party
- Irich Info Technology Ltd
- Service Type
- Technical support
- Tribunal's final assessment
- Very Serious
- 4.8.3 (b) Sanctions
4.8.3 (a) Sanctions
4.8.3 (c) Sanctions
4.8.3 (e) Sanctions
4.8.3 (i) Sanctions
4.8.3 (d) Sanctions
- Breaches raised
- Code 14 2.4.2 Privacy
Code 14 4.2.3 Obligations of Providers of premium rate services
The case concerned a technical support service. The Level 2 provider for the Service was Irich Info Technology Services . The Level 1 provider for the Service was Numbers Plus Limited.
The Level 2 provider described the Service as one which provided Technical Support and stated that the Service charged £2.50 per minute.
The Executive received two complaints from members of the public and one from industry concerning the Service as of November 2018. The complaints suggested that the Service was not in fact operating as a technical support line.
Having regard to all of the circumstances of the case the Tribunal decided to impose the following sanctions:
- formal reprimand
- a requirement that the Level 2 provider seeks compliance advice
- a requirement that the Level 2 provider remedy the breach by ensuring compliance advice on the Service and its promotions is implemented to the satisfaction of the PSA Compliance advice must remain implemented for the duration of the Service remaining in operation unless otherwise agreed by the PSA
- a recommendation that the Service is barred until all sanctions have been complied with
- a requirement that the Level 2 provider must refund all consumers who claim a refund for the full amount spent by them on the Service within 28 days of their claim, save where there is good cause to believe that such claims are not valid and provide evidence to the PSA that such refunds have been made.
- a fine of £250,000.
Administrative charge recommendation: 100%